JW Hart PBR Challenge to Take a One Year Break

Recent PBR scheduling change creates conflict with scheduled date


Decatur, TX April 2, 2019

For Immediate Release

WC Challenger Charities announced today that the June 1, 2019 JW Hart PBR Challenge is being cancelled due to recent changes to the PBR Unleash the Beast tour schedule. The event will resume in 2020 with an anticipated event date of May 30, 2020. WC Challenger Charities president Andrew Rottner said “Our date of June 1, 2019 was submitted to the PBR office at their request in August 2018. Unbeknownst to our committee, they just recently added a three day event in Green Bay, WI, that overlapped our event in Decatur. Given the surprise format we had been planning for months, that involved having many of the top 40 riders competing, we could not carry on with that concept and go head to head with the Green Bay event.”

After learning of the scheduling conflict the committee held many meetings to look at an alternate date for the event. However, given the event location is normally reserved a year in advance, there were conflicts in trying to move to an alternate date. Ultimately, a special meeting with event organizers and sponsors was called to discuss and determine the ultimate direction for 2019. VP Wendell Berry said “After lengthy and careful deliberations, our sponsors and our committee felt we should postpone the event until 2020 in order to provide the highest level of entertainment and value that our fans have come to expect of this event. We had a great program lined up that was going to be very exciting for the fans and riders. We are very disappointed it did not work out.”

The committee intends to work closely with the PBR to avoid this from happening in 2020 and looks to maintain the positive and successful relationship the two groups have shared since 2004. The JW Hart PBR Challenge has routinely been one of the premier events during the offseason for the main PBR circuit. It is a three time venue of the year, routinely ranks in the top five, has hosted some of the best promotions on the circuit including the once in a lifetime Unfinished Business in 2015, and was noted for the largest donation in PBR history ($1.25 million) in 2013.

“We are certainly disappointed in how things worked out, especially given the negative financial impact to the charitable agencies we support annually” noted VP Calvin Jackson. “We donate on average about $60,000 a year from this event to local charities, having made total cash contributions from all of the WC Challenger Charities events of over $1.1 million since 2004. We are working now on a contingency plan to help some of them out in 2019 and will pick back up in 2020.” VP Alan Sessions said “We will move forward and this will give us a full year to plan and prepare a bigger and better event in 2020. We will come back in a big way for our community, our charities, our sponsors, our fans and the riders. We take a lot of pride in this event and want it to be a great experience every year. We are excited about the opportunities for 2020.”

The Eighter from Decatur BBQ Challenge will be held as planned on May 31-June 1, 2019.